Contact us today. We want to help.

How can I get the right documents for my Long Island divorce?

Divorce is never easy, especially when you are bringing an emotional problem into the realm of legal speech and requirement.

Although the process can be lengthy and complicated, much of the legwork in finding the right documents for property division and other related issues can be done with the help of Nassau County services and the internet.

How do I find out who legally owns a property?

The County Clerk's Office of Nassau County can help residents find property records. Often, the right record can be found through U.S. Land Records.

Can the county clerk help me get a vital record, like a certificate of marriage?

No, vital records are not maintained by the county clerk except for marriages that took place between 1907 and 1935. Licenses in Nassau County are available from the clerk in the municipality where the license was issued. Certificates of residency, however, are available from the county treasurer.

Can the county clerk issue a copy of a divorce decree?

Yes, the Nassau county clerk can issue copies of required divorce decrees for fees starting at $5.00.

How do I add or remove the name on a property deed?

Once a deed is on record with the county clerk, it cannot be changed and any changes must be reflected in a new deed issued and properly filed with the office. Since clerical staff members are unable to help with this process, it is often advisable to obtain legal representation to complete this process without problems.

Source: Nassau County Clerk's Office, "County Clerk FAQs," accessed Nov. 03, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
peer rated for highest level of professional excellence NYSTLA nassau county bar association the american trail lawyers association new york state bar association

Contact our firm today
Call 800-491-9306 or fill out the form below to schedule an appointment at our Garden City, New York, office.

Contact the Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Weinstein, Kaplan & Cohen, P.C.
1325 Franklin Avenue
Suite 210
Garden City, NY 11530

Toll Free: 800-491-9306
Fax: 516-877-7760
Garden City Law Office Map